Friday, August 14, 2009

Baked Potato Salad

Our town has free concerts in the park every Thursday night during the summer. Gran meets us there and we take turns bringing dinner for everyone. A new favorite has become the Baked Potato Salad. Although why it's called a "salad" I certainly don't know...

But today's your lucky day because today I'm going to share the recipe!

You'll need:
*5 lb bag of red potatoes
*10 slices of bacon
*1/2 C sour cream
*1/2 mayo
*1 C shredded cheese
*olive oil
*Montreal Steak Seasoning

First up, cube your red potatoes and drizzle them with olive oil. I like to collect mine in my big pyrex mixing bowl, drizzle, then stir. Looks like this:



When the potatoes are coated with olive oil, pour them out onto a baking sheet (I usually need two baking sheets) and "sprinkle" (ie-cover!) with Montreal Steak Seasoning. You could also add salt and pepper. It will look like this.



Put them in the oven at 400 for 30 mins, stirring about halfway through.


Meanwhile, start frying up your bacon! (I got a 2lb package and have enough bacon for this recipe and some delicious BLT's for lunch tomorrow.) In my opinion, crispy is BEST!
(Please note that the best time to dig through your recycling for an empty can to drain the bacon grease into would be before you start cooking the bacon and not during the whole process.)


Should I tell you that my grandmother always used that old bacon grease to make her green beans with??? No? Well, they were the best green beans EVER!


After the bacon has cooled, chop them up into 1/4 inch-ish pieces. Or break them up. It's no-stress, so don't stress!



Now, when your potatoes come out of the oven, they will look like this:
)


Fabulously delicious! Be warned, you will be tempted to eat a few (or a lot!). That's okay! These are a perfectly good side dish on their own (They are called "Life Potatoes" at our house after being randomly named by One.)

So here is the hardest part....WAITING! The potatoes need to cool off, we don't want our cheese to melt when we mix everything together. Here's my best tip: walk away from the kitchen! Otherwise, you just might eat them all gone -yes, all 5 lbs of potatoes, they are that good- so just walk away and let them cool down.

You could also put them in your fridge like I did, but I didn't really want to mention it because there's no way I'm showing you a picture of the inside of my fridge!

Okay, so with the potatoes cooled off, dump them into your biggest bowl. Add the sour cream, mayo, shredded cheese, and bacon.



Stir together. That's it!




Now if that doesn't look disgusting to you, I don't know what would, but I promise it's Delicious! Serve it hot or cold (I usually do cold so I can make it ahead of time). Feel free to change up the ingredients and make it your own. I hope you love it! We tend to treat it like a real baked potato and serve it with a big salad.

But with all that sour cream and mayo, you just might want to walk around the block a time or two (or ten) when you're done!

No comments:

Post a Comment