Friday, January 23, 2009

Junior High Flashback

I took a sewing class last night! Through my fabulous park and recreation department. It was so fun! I can make just about anything with my machine.....as long as it only requires a straight stitch, but OH MY GOODNESS!!! Now I can zig-zag, I can do ALL of the decorative stitches that my machine offers....wow. Love it! I learned so many random, helpful things, but the teacher had those little 4x4 scraps to practice our stitches on and it took me right back to 8th grade home ec!

Funny thing though, I also learned that I have a vintage machine! Now, I knew it was old, but vintage? Really? I bought it second-hand from a dear lady at my church during my senior year of high school (almost 12 yrs ago). I think I paid $150 for it, which I know was such a deal, but I had to make payments on it in order to afford it.

So here's my machine. A 1969 Viking Husqvarna, series 6010. It was top-of-the-line in its day and is still in perfect condition.


I love it so much! I think I might need to name it. Gertrude? Trudy? Hmmm.

But it's such a funny story of how it came to be available. See, this lovely woman at my church was married to a rather nerdy kind of guy (hmmmm, much like DaddyMan, now that I think of it). Anyway, I guess this husband kept talking about getting a new computer and Lovely Church Woman threatened that if he ever came home with a new computer, she was going to go out to buy a new sewing machine! Well, this went on for several years until one day, he came home with a new computer and that was that. New machine for Lovely Church Woman and fantastic opportunity for me! Funny thing is, my mom spoke with this woman in the last few months and the woman spoke longingly about her/my machine and how she wished she had it back because her new fandangled machine, with all it's fanciness, just couldn't compete.

I guess it's true, they just don't make them like they used to. But there's not a chance in the world that she's getting her hands back on MY machine! :o)

Unfortunately though, no crafting has gone on today. Two is coming off of a sickness, got up waaay too early this morning, and has been cranky and tired and needy all day. And Three has decided that he really needs to be held while he is sleeping. So I spent the day loving on my babies and letting everything else fall away. Because as much as I do love crafting, I love my babies more and hope I will never turn down an opportunity for a little snuggling. Even if they're sick. (Hey, you get it where you can!)

No comments:

Post a Comment